October 28, 2016 -- Eleventh Annual W.C. Lacy Distinguised Lectore
In honor of the distinguished career of the late Willard C. (Bill) Lacy, Ph.D., we are pleased to invite you to attend the Eleventh Annual Lacy Lecture. More information below:
August 16, 2016 -- Dr. M. Lee Allison (1948 - 2016)
It's with heavy hearts that we announce that Dr. M. Lee Allison, State Geologist and Director of the Arizona Geological Survey, passed away Tuesday, August 16th, after suffering a critical head injury from a fall at his home on Saturday, August 13th.
Lee’s passing is a tragic loss for his wife, family, staff of the Arizona Geological Survey, the geologic and geoinformatics communities, and Lee’s broad circle of friends, colleagues, and acquaintances around the world.
There will not be a memorial service. Lee’s family has requested they not be contacted. Any messages of condolence can be addressed to AZGS (Arizona Geological Survey) team members who will pass them along to his family.
Lee’s wife, Ann, suggested donations be made to the Association for Women Geoscientists/Salt Lake Chapter or to a scholarship fund that will be established at UMass to honor Lee.
July 13, 2016 -- 3rd Annual MineBLAST
- Join your mining friends at MineBLAST on July 13 at Barrio Brewing in Tucson. This informal summer mixer is co-hosted by SME Tucson and Young Miners of SME Arizona and all mining organizations are welcome to join us. Thank you to sponsors Schlumberger Water Service, McCraren Compliance and Hexagon Mining. Click here for more info.
May 27, 2016 -- Michael R. Carter (October 27, 1944 - May 27, 2016)
- A native Idahoan, Mike Carter was born on October 27, 1944 in Boise, ID. He went on to graduate from the University of Idaho in 1967. As a geologist, he traveled the world for the next 48 years, overseeing various mining operations from explorations to productions. From Armenia to South America, Arizona to South Dakota and numerous other states, his skills and personality took him all over the map. Mining, fishing, and golf were his passions, his sharp wit will be missed. The family is working on his life history and has asked anyone who worked with Mike in Arizona or Nevada in the 70s and 80s to contact them at (Zach) 205-253-5751 or (Bill) 208-860-0896.
April 23, 2016 -- 2016 Annual Spring Meeting Field Trip
- ASARCO, Silver Bell Mining will host SME Arizona's 2016 Annual Spring Meeting Field Trip on Saturday, April 23rd, 2016 at the ASARCO - Silver Bell Mine. More information here...
February 10, 2016 -- Kalahari Copper Belt Development and Long-term Copper Market with Tim Snider
- Tim Snider, Chairman of Cupric Canyon Capital and former President and COO of Phelps Dodge and Freeport-McMoRan, will present an overview of development in the Kalahari copper belt and address factors impacting the long-term copper market. Don't miss this informative presentation from third-generation miner and industry leader. Thank you to our dinner sponsor, Atlas Copco! More...
February 3, 2016 -- Know Any YOUNG Miners?
Know any young miners?Tell them about Young Miners of Arizona! Initiated in 2015, this new Arizona SME group targets members with 15 years or less experience in the mining industry. It is a great transition for newly graduated students and professionals to connect with their peer group. Click the links below for more information!
January 13, 2016 -- Mine Tailing Drainage: A Bottoms Up Approach Using HDD Drilling and Installation Methods
December 25, 2015 -- Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
- David Bardsley, P.G. will present a case study of dewatering a tailings pond with unique challenges and conditions that could lead to a catastrophic toxic release. In this case, the Maine Department of Environmental Protection looked to horizontal wells to address their challenges. More information here...
December 6 - 7, 2015 -- SME Arizona Conferece
The Society for Mining, Metallurgy, & Exploration is hosting their annual SME Arizona Conference. The SME Arizona Conference is a can't-miss regional conference that provides a great opportunity for collaboration and growth of the Mining Industry in the Southwest, specially Arizona.
The SME Arizona Conference will be held at the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa on December 6th and 7th. Also, The University of Arizona SME Student Chapter will be hosting their 20th Annual Diggers and Duffers Golf Tournament. For more information click here.
November 19, 2015 -- Arizona Historical Society - Mining Day Reception
- SME Tucson Section invites you to attend the Arizona Historical Society Mining Day Reception on November 19, 2015 in Tempe, AZ. RSVP deadline is November 15. For more information click here.
July 29, 2015 -- Scholarship Fundraiser Kicks Off
Every fall the SME Tucson Section partners with the mining community to sponsor scholarships to be awarded to students pursuing degrees in mining related fields at the University of Arizona. Since 2010, the section has awarded more than 98 scholarships totaling more than $175,000. Support the next generation of mining talent and become a sponsor today! More...
July 8, 2015 -- MineBLAST 2015 at Barrio Brewery
SME Tucson Section invites you to join your mining friends and hosting sponsors on July 8 from 6-9 p.m. at Barrio Brewing downtown for a casual, relaxing summer event. More...
April 18, 2015 -- 2015 Annual SME Operators' BBQ
- Please support the University of Arizona SME Student Chapter and sign up for their 2015 Annual SME Operators' BBQ! More information can be found here.
Feb 15, 2015 -- 2015 SME Annual Conference & Expo
We hope to see everyone at the Colorado Convention Center in Denver for the 2015 SME Annual Conference & Expo. Conference dates are February 15-18. Safe travels. Click here for more event information.
Jan 1, 2015 -- Happy New Year!
SME Tucson's New LinkedIn Group
We now have a LinkedIn group specifically for the members of SME Tucson Section to network, share events and get to know one another better. You can find our group by searching "SME Tucson". If you would like to participate but aren't a member yet, there's no better time to join in than now!
Sep 10, 2014 -- Mike Humphries, Hudbay Minerals
- Mike Humphries, Director of Engineering Studies, Hudbay Minerals, will introduce Hudbay Minerals, operations and projects and the acquisition of Rosemont Copper.
Aug 13, 2014 -- Dr. Lee Allison, The Arizona Geological Survey
- Join us on August 13th when Dr. Lee Allison, Director at the Arizona Geological Survey, will be joining us and presenting Holbrooke Potash District. We would like to thank our meeting sponsor Geotemps. More...
Jul 11, 2014 -- MineBLAST 2014! Eat, drink, and enjoy.
- Join your mining colleagues poolside at the Sheraton Tucson for a casual, relaxing summer event. Members and friends of all mining groups -- AGS, AMIGOS, AMA, ARPA, MFSW, and others -- are welcome to attend. There is no cost to attend. Light appetizers provided. Ca$h bar. More...
- Thank you to our MineBLAST Sponsors:
2016 Fundraiser Sponsors
Mother Lode $5000
Big Nugget $2000
Pay Dirt $1000
Special Appreciation Sponsors